I began my yoga practice earnestly in 2003. After completing my first yoga teacher certification in 2008, I continue to learn from respectable international yoga teachers to deepen my appreciation in this ancient art. I continue to explore various form of yoga as I believe there are merits in each yoga system.
When I was in my early 30s, I was constantly suffering from physical pain which radiate from my lower back to the back of my left thigh. I discovered I have an imperfect spine. I have Spondylolisthesis, my L5 (Lumbar 5) is displaced almost 50% forward from my Sacrum which resulted in the sciatica nerve compression. Through my yoga practice, I learnt the importance of good postural alignment and more importantly asanas that help to relieve the pain.
In my past working career in the Aviation industry, I experienced regular intense and agonizing tension headaches. I discovered that calming and therapeutic asanas, as well as pranayama (regulated breathing) helped to create equilibrium in my life.
When I hit low points in life, I learnt the need to practise invigorating asanas to enliven my mood and restore my mental well-being.
In my yoga journey, I am grateful to have met many wonderful and compassionate yoga teachers. Ushaji who continuously ignite my passion through her meticulous, stringent and unyielding style of teaching. Dr Loren Fishman and Ellen Saltonstall who passionately shared their research and teachings in Osteoporosis and Arthritis prevention through yoga.
I am also blessed to have yoga family and friends who share the same passion, walking alongside me on the same path. They are inspiring, truthful and simply wonderful beings in my life. I feel as if I am a yoga tree, germinating and waiting patiently for a full bloom to savour the fruits of the yoga.
As I continue my yoga journey, I would like to share my experiences and joy in practising yoga, to allow more to benefit and appreciate the art of yoga.
Yoga courses completed since 2008
- Diploma in Yoga Teaching accredited by Vendanta Training Academy (International Shivaananda Kendra) with Distinction in grade
- Ashtanga Vinyasa Teacher Course with Mandala Yogashala in Mysore, India
- Ashtanga Teacher Training Course with David Swenson
- Healthy Spine Teacher Training Course with Ann Barros
- Yoga workshops (Iyengar) with Christian Pisano, Maria Apt, Abhijata Iyengar and many other senior teachers
- Annual intensive yoga training (Iyengar) with Usha Devi since 2008 (on-going)
- Yoga for Osteoporosis Teaching Certification according to Dr Fishman’s Methodology
- Bodymind Ballworks Course with Ellen Saltonstall